Thursday, October 16, 2008

debate impressions

Evidently the most important thing is Joe the Plumber. At least for John McCain. That's great for Joe, but what about dan? I find it odd that candidates try to bring things home by referencing some guy in Ohio. What bearing does Joe have on my life? None. What does have an influence on my life are things like taxes, health care, the economy, inflation, home ownership, etc.

The reason why i think last night's debate went to Obama was that he actually addressed those issues, while McCain made juvenile jabs at Obama. At times Obama stooped to his level, but overall Obama was more presidential than McCain, who seemed to want to pick fights and make Obama look bad, rather than telling the people what he can do for them.

I'm really sick of all the mud slinging. Obama is not a terrorist. He sat on a board with Bill Ayers, but is not his best friend. McCain was involved in the Keating Five, but was only reprimanded for what happened. Neither of things really matters now, other than that Keating Five scandal doesnt seem to have influenced McCain's financial view points and you might hope it would.

What continues to push me away from McCain is the choices he makes. He chose to be combative and juvenile in the debate. He wanted to take the fight to Obama. Fine, take the fight to him. Just do it by attacking his plans and his positions, not by trying to associate him with tenuous assosiations. McCain's judement is just as bad as Obama's if not worse: he's been Bush's buddy for the past 4 years. He also picked Palin to be his running mate. There is no way i want her in charge of the country. If i was on the fence, that would push me into Obama's court. Her rhetoric is scary. She sounds worse than Bush and she doesnt know what she is doing.

Holy crap. I just got myself all sideways. Point is, McCain has nothing more to say, so he is just hurling insults at Obama, which is about as effective at winning my vote as insulting me. Say something, damnit.

Anyway, you knew how i was voting months ago. I hope you come to a similar conclusion.

No comments: