Wednesday, April 16, 2008

new Pope

'i like classic Pope better than new Pope.'
-Will (Okkervil River)

so the Pope is in town. everyone is freaking the fuck out about it. at least the news and police and catholics. like Will said, classic Pope is way better. i fell like Benedict is a let down after John Paul. he seems to say some real dumb divisive stuff at times, which doesnt seem very Popely of him. but then im not catholic, or even religious...

anyway, he is staying like a half mile from me. right across the street from Dick Cheney. the Russian and Chinese embassies are also a short walk from my place. its kind of odd. its all these somewhat shadowy figures all coming together in Glover Park. i feel that no good can come of this. i think i like the Russians best. but we'll see what Putin does in the months and years to come.

but i digress!!!

anyway, the Pope's presence in my neighborhood has resulted in closing off half of Massachusetts Ave which is normally a heavily used 4 lane artery. plus he'll be closing it altogether a few times in the next couple days. its odd to me. the Dali Lama was here a few months ago, and people barely noticed. and i think that guy has a lot better things to say. visiting presidents dont get this kind of treatment. it all seems a bit much to me. its not like he's Jesus. hes just some catholic guy that got elected Pope. which is an oddity of its own.

i must be missing something. all it is to me is a big crazy hubbub over some German in a goofy hat who gets publicity from time to time for saying silly things. i do hope some good comes of this. that he says some smart stuff. so we can all say 'that Pope fella is a smart guy. no wonder they elected him. im glad he came to America.'

two random Pope related thoughts:
-the Pope should be on cribs. he would make all those rappers look like hacks. he has a whole fucking city. and a Pope-mobile. they may have sweet cars, but are the custom and named after them? Pope what!!?
-does anyone tithe anymore? i really cant see me giving ten percent of my income to a church. dude, have you seen gas prices lately? how am i supposed to fill up my Escalade and give you ten percent of my money? i mean, whats that going to? what have you done for me lately? i mean, aside from saving my soul?

p.s. i drive a Rabbit, not and Escalade. but it makes the point better.

No comments: